Thursday, March 22, 2012

In Which We Address Daffodils..

A friend recently waxed that daffodils were the ugliest flower on Facebook and he was immediately reprimanded for having made such a statement.  I being of sound mind did not comment on the comment as I am, as you know fond of all flowers and really don’t know that I’ve ever seen an ‘ugly’ one.  Strange, odd, unusual and even garish but never ugly.  After reading his comments I went out into the garden to stroll and look at my collection of daffodils to see why he thought them ugly.
DSC_0016 DSC_0013
DSC_0008DSC_0006
DSC_0014 DSC_0003
Daffodils are heralds of Spring that burst from the ground and explode in an array of blooms and colors.  They are tough and ask for little in the way of care requiring but a sprinkle of bulb food every season.  They are impervious to deer and rabbits which in my location is a bonus beyond measure and they return faithfully each year with no pruning, prodding or fussing needed.  For me, daffodils are many things but ugly isn’t one of them…

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lost Season

The weather this gardening season has not been conducive to gardening.  We had cold weather up through May.  Then the rains came and contin...