It’s raining today, we are supposed to get an inch or more. That’s a good thing if it comes down slow and steady and the ground has a chance to absorb, not so much if it pours and causes flooding, especially around my freshly cleaned pond.
Last weekend we set out on the task of finally getting the rock and sludge out of the pond. Maintenance should be much easier now and if anything makes it to the bottom we should be able to just scoop it out. I think though…I want more fish as I only have 8. There were also 2 bullfrogs and one Pickerel frog 12 huge snails and about 5 bullfrog tadpoles. I haven’t seen or heard the frogs since we put them back in the pond, hope they didn’t leave.
In other news, I’ve made a garden changing decision, I’ve decided to move all my perennials onto one side of the yard. I’m going to concentrate everything into the area from the left side of the gazebo down to the area where (hopefully) my garden shed is going.
All the beds that the perennials come out of will get low maintenance shrubs or small evergreens something easy to weed and mulch around. For me having everything spread all over the property is to much for me to handle alone.
So I started my design process by going around the yard and taking pictures and making notes in my garden book about what I wanted to do in that area. I got to work the next day, because a garden waits for no one!
The first thing I did was move logs that Randy had cut into sections for me to give him a solid mow line between what is a jungle but will one day be a mostly sunny flower garden and home to my garden shed. (I’m sure if I say it enough it will come true!)
Next up was moving filed stone to start a break between the grass and where I want to create a new planting area. The grass has never done well over here and it’s very hard to mow. The cardboard is just the start to suffocating weeds and grass clumps. I’ll add more cardboard and will be pulling some leaves that are already decomposing on the other side of the yard to pile on top. I’ll also get some topsoil and compost of some kind to add in. While it percolates to planting perfection, I’ve got plenty more to do.
Like protecting plants from big feet.
I added fieldstone from the ‘stone steps’ around the back and along the side of the large hosta. I wanted to leave an area for bog maintenance, but to designate the rest as a no walk zone for big feet of the four and two variety. I’ll put something down like gravel or wood chips suppress the weeds and stop erosion.
On the other end I did the same thing blocked off the flower bed ara and opened a spot in the path to allow access to the filter. The big feet crew like to take shortcuts through flower beds and I’m hoping that this will at least lessen that, fingers crossed.
I know this is going to take a lot of work, I just think in the end it will be easier for me to take care of. So for now it’s one section at a time.