Monday, May 19, 2014

Fenced and Rocking..

A beautiful weekend weather wise here at Logs End made it possible for us to finish the deer fence.
DSC_0005DSC_0012
With the leaves on the trees you can’t even see the fence, but me, I know it’s there and I couldn’t be happier.  Okay, that’s not true if ALL the work was done, ALL the plants were moved, I’d be happier!  One step at a time though.  Right?
While Randy finished tweaking the fence I dealt with the issues of the 4” of rain that came this past week sending mud pouring into my ‘dry’ stream bed and pond.   
DSC_0011
I dug out the area directly under the eaves of the gazebo roof because it was seriously pouring off there.  I filled the area with rocks so that it want be able to wash the dirt out anymore. I made a berm with the dirt in the hopes that any water that comes from under the gazebo will hit the the low spot and drain away and not wash over the berm.  I moved some plants around and hope that as things fill in, problems with water on this side will slowly fade away…


DSC_0007
I decided that the ‘dry’ stream that got buried under mud with the rain, wasn’t going to work like I wanted.  I want to keep the mud and water from running down in between the bog and stream so I decided to make the ‘dry’ stream more of a bank.  About halfway through I decided I didn’t like it.  It’s too much rock.  Hey, as the creator of this mess, I’m allowed to change my mind!  So I decided to work on something else.
DSC_0009
I pulled all the honeysuckle vines, briars and roses up,  I cut down the scrub trees and then I got out my new shredder (with a little help from Randy) and used it to grind up leaves and sticks.  That thing makes saw dust, not mulch and it also shoots it a long way.  Wasn’t what I was expecting, but it does the job.  There is just so much more to do..
One step at a time. Right?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you two have been busy! The fence and other changes you've done look great. - Lisa

    ReplyDelete

The Lost Season

The weather this gardening season has not been conducive to gardening.  We had cold weather up through May.  Then the rains came and contin...