Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Turning dreams into reality..

It’s been a long time getting to this point.  The deer fence is making it’s way around the yard slowly.  We’ve completed two sides that run in the woods, we’ve got the main stretch along the back and the two pieces that go to the house left.
DSC_0019
As you can see, it’s virtually invisible, the poles stand out and if you look closely you can see the white warning flags tied to the fence, they almost look like they are floating.
I can’t begin to explain my excitement, maybe it’s a gardeners thing I don’t know, but for me it’s like I’m starting all over again.  No more worrying about the deer eating something, no more not planting flowers because the deer will just eat them.  No more worrying that every step I take is going to land my foot in a pile of deer poop!  No more stinky sprays, hanging garlic clips or bars of soap dangling about in bags and maybe just maybe, no more deer ticks frolicking about in my flower beds, waiting for me to stop and pull weeds.  I got so excited at the prospect of being able to plant tulips, funny to some, but I’ve not had them since we moved here, munch, munch, munch.
The planning is nonstop in my flower loving brain, visions of lush border gardens, with dappled sunlight and a gentle breeze dance about.  I see azaleas in bloom, hollies loaded with bright red berries for the birds and lush full hosta illuminating a shady corner.  A meandering path that flows through the secret side of the garden, a quiet spot full of flowers reminds me of my long lost pets, St Francis stands watch here, he’s been waiting for a while now.DSC_0021
Next to a log a grove of native ferns and wild flowers delight in the early spring.  Birds nest in the trees, bees feast on the blooms of various flowers, chipmunks scurry about in the leaf mulch gathering acorns…..
DSC_0014
To get to this place, it’s going to take a lot of work, a lot of planning and a lot of little steps.  Some have already been taken, the deer fencing, the constant pulling of honeysuckle and wineberry vines.  Others are in the near future, a chipper to shred leaves and sticks into a beautiful, nutrient rich mulch.  A pullbear to rip the weed trees and Japanese barberry from the ground.  The plotting of the paths and the careful transplanting of dozens of plants to the right locations.  All within reach, one step at a time, my dreams are becoming reality and I couldn’t be more excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lost Season

The weather this gardening season has not been conducive to gardening.  We had cold weather up through May.  Then the rains came and contin...