Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Flying the White Flag

Sometimes you just have to admit you need help and today I made that call.
I’ve been waging a battle for as long as we’ve lived here against the deer.  Do not misunderstand me, I love them, I think they are beautiful and my heart breaks for them.  They don’t want to be in my yard, they don’t want to be forced to eat roses and wineberries because all other food sources are gone.  The problem is they have no natural predators anymore, no means of keeping populations in check and they are quickly running out of room.  So they end up in my yard, eating my plants and making me most unhappy.
I’ve spent the better part of the last two weeks researching deer fencing and attempting to plan out how to fence off a portion of Logs End to protect the most edible of my plants from the deer.  After much discussion and measuring we came up with a plan and turned it in for a quote.  When I got the reply today I had to laugh, it’s the cost of a seven day trip to a private island that all inclusive with airfare and extras…yeah it’s THAT much!  There is no way this side of Atlantis that I’m paying that much for some plastic fencing, nope not happening.  So I did what any sane gardener who is utterly in over her head in a battle with Mom Nature, I called a professional landscape designer. 
The hope is that she will be able to draw up a full yard/garden plan that will help me place as much existing deer food as possible in a central area that can easily be protected (read that not as fence but as spraying, repelling and otherwise foiling the deer) and using the we don’t eat it unless there is absolutely nothing else available in a eye pleasing manner.
Stay tuned….

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lost Season

The weather this gardening season has not been conducive to gardening.  We had cold weather up through May.  Then the rains came and contin...